Sunday, April 7, 2013

World Autism Awareness (Week)

Ivy was saying how friday was rly high and awesome and I agree with her entirely!!! It seemed like orientation all over again- we danced a flash mob to the tune of 'doe re mi' from the sound of music w the kids and was in charge of the primary 4 kids. What a change from the p6s hehe. One of them loves loves loves to sing and she's in tune just 100% of the time. She sang solo for Bruno mars' count on me during the guitar perf and the whole crowd was there including George young haha but ok I'll get there!! Prior to my knowing she was gna belt out tunes, she forced me to YouTube a gangnam style parody IT WAS IN CHINESE and dammit she could sing Chinese Btr than I spoke it haha (she's Indian) hoho. Such a cutie! So proud of her and all the other kids actually. It was at the ion orchard entrance and I was heartened that the children get such an opportunity to show singapore a great side of them. That autism adds to the diversity and people shouldn't be scowling over their differences but rather celebrating them. I think this pretty much seems to wrap up this entire internship experience!!
I had no clue of what autism was, who had autism & why the heck it mattered. Honestly putting it, autistic people don't have much social skills and might come off as too frank or maybe too judgeable? I mean, I'd think of them as weird and let them be shunned by society just because. Earlier this year, two secondary sch boys conversed with the interns and we were just floored by their intelligence and witty humour- talked about secondary sch subs, combinations even JC rankings.. I'm grateful that I got to experience that ☺
My other autism experience is my every day work w my class. Sometimes they get a little unresponsive and most of them are shy (this is just a small minority & within my class only hehe), and of course everyday is just so different from the other in terms of happenings with the kids. A boy can break down bc the teacher writes his schedule on the other side of the whiteboard for a lesson, a girl grits her teeth and runs back to the classroom after being scolded by an external teacher.
Today for project yellow feet, I've seen a heartwarming sight of all the kids and their their families.
One of the p3 kids (after performing): 'mummy, I've done great haven't I?'
That + his hug + his rosy cheeks + tiny stature makes it so lovely to witness.
I think my point is that for world autism awareness, I hope everyone takes their time to know that there are such people who deserve our appreciation and encouragement bc it isn't easy for them sometimes. The stigma coupled w their inner demons and cognitive complications. sometimes we *might* forget this nugget of information and choose to judge em by the sidelines instead. I admit that I'm guilty.

So there was the Light It Up Blue event held at Ion Orchard on Friday, then project yellow feet held at Bishan Park today which was pretty awsm and it wrapped up WAAW nicely!! So proud that 2 of my kids performed their guitar playing skills to the crowd. ✌✌✌ #thingsicantdo
yellow feet is an interesting event bc they walk 2km while holding the shoulder of the person in front of them. Longest human chain oh yeah. The interns hogged the photo booth like kiasuism at it's best hoho. Lovely lovely time, no regrets!! Would like to express my gratitude at the close-knit family vibes that the upper primary trackies exude; participating fully in both events and creating memorable memories w the kids together + making future #upperpri plans eg (thaipan x cycling), (ambush), food dates, etc.

Ps omg yay managed to take a shot w the cute cute kids of my class and the other class hahahahaha ❤❤❤









No comments:

Post a Comment